How does one go about choosing the best recumbent bike for weight loss? I spent 15 hours investigating the best recumbent bikes. We will examine five of the top choices. I hope this will help you choose the best recumbent bike for weight loss.
My choice for the best recumbent bike for weight loss is the Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor
Which is the best recumbent bike for weight loss?
- Best overall recumbent bike for weight loss: Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor: 90/100 based on 3,846 review
- Second best overall recumbent bike for weight loss: Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709: 90/100 – 11.519 reviews
- Best recumbent bike for weight loss with extra features: Schwinn 270 recumbent Bike: 88/100 – 4,155 reviews
- Honorable mentions – best recumbent bike for weight loss: Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike Exercise Bike, 300 lb (136 kg) Capacity, Easy Adjustable Seat, Monitor, Pulse Rate Monitoring – SF-RB4616: 88/100 – 1,455 reviews
- Honorable mentions – best recumbent bike for weight loss: Marcy Magnetic Recumbent Bike with Adjustable Resistance and Transport Wheels NS-716R : 88/100 – 694 reviews
What are the benefits of recumbent bikes?
Folding recumbent exercise bikes are great for people who are:
- Wanting to burn fat at home
- Seeking a low-impact way to get a work out in without unnecessary joint pain
- Intimidated by or unable to go the gym
- Looking to improve their health and fitness
- Needing a safer alternative to riding a bike outside
- Wanting to read or watch TV while working out
- Looking to strengthen or tone their legs or glutes
- Excited to enjoy a variety of workouts with one piece of equipment at home
- Ready to rehabilitate after an injury or surgery
- Otherwise limited in movement
- Finding their backs get sore with upright bikes
- Unable to comfortably sit for long periods on upright bikes
Many people find recumbent bikes seats are more comfortable than upright stationary bikes. They also tend to place a lower amount of stress on the lower back.
Recumbent bikes are usually more stable and safer to use than upright bikes, ellipticals, or treadmills. The center bar is generally lower which makes it easier to get on and off. It also helps reduce the risk of catching a foot and falling.
Recumbent bikes can be used by a range of people. From high-level athletes to beginners.
Additionally, recumbent exercise bikes can be great for people who struggle with balance or weak legs. People are often advised to use recumbent bikes to rehabilitate after a stroke or injury.
The ability to lean back with less upper body strain makes recumbent bikes more enjoyable for watching TV or reading. For years I began my day riding a recumbent bike. I would connect my computer to my TV and I would read ebooks or watch a show while riding.
Recumbent exercise bikes can be a great way to lose weight while studying or working from home or at an office. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor that workers’ reading comprehension was not affected while pedaling.
Which muscles do recumbent bikes work?
What are the Pros Of Using Upright Exercise Bikes?
- They tend to take up less space than recumbent bikes
- They are more like riding a road or mountain bike
- People training for races or longer rides may find their buttocks will get more used to bike seats
- Researchers found “Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor” when compared to recumbent pedaling
Are recumbent bikes as effective as upright bikes?
Some people like to claim that upright bikes are more effective and vice versa The jury is still out on this matter. One thing we do know is that researchers saw no significant difference between the level of activation of muscle groups between recumbent and upright exercise bikes.
Recumbent exercise bikes may be a great way to rehab knees. Exercise bikes could also be great for helping to keep one’s knees strong, mobile, and limber.
In the Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, Dr. Mats Ericson, Ph. D. explains that cycling is a useful “exercise in the rehabilitation of patients with injuries to the knee.”
Dr. Ericson also mentions that exercise bikes might be especially useful for those with injuries to the “anterior cruciate ligament” [ACL and] “medial collateral ligament” (MCL).
Exercise bikes can also help improve peoples’ ability to step up, sit, and stand.
For people with knee problems, recumbent exercise bikes may cause less stress on knee joints. In addition, Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor.
What attributes should I look for in a recumbent bike for weight loss?
When looking for the best recumbent exercise bike for weight loss it is important to consider your needs, ‘musts,’ and goals.
If you are looking to get some gentle cardio a few times a week you may not need all the features that a triathlete is looking for. A variety of more budget-friendly options exist for people who are looking for simple, yet effective recumbent exercise bike.
You will likely want to look for an exercise bike that has a range of resistance levels. This will help you continue to challenge yourself as you improve your fitness.
The first exercise bike I bought provided very little resistance. I immediately sold the bike because I wanted one that had more levels of challenge. The next bike provided more resistance and allowed for more intense sessions without having to pedal as fast as on the easier settings.
No matter how nice a recumbent exercise bike may look, it is nice to be able to easily put it in a closet. Unless you have a room that is strictly dedicated for gym equipment, being able to free up space can be really convenient. Recumbent exercise bikes that are foldable can be especially portable and easy to store.
Some recumbent exercise bikes come with blue tooth connectivity that allow the bike to sync to a variety of trainer apps. This makes it extra easy to track your time, distance, calories, and heart rate in the app of your choice.
Being able to follow pre-set programs on your exercise bike can be a great way to keep yourself challenged. You might also find that programs help keep you from becoming bored or stagnant in your fitness routine.
I remember trying to do high interval training from home without an exercise bike. I started using my mini-trampoline but that shook the entire house. Next, I ran my stairs as hard as I could. That also shook the whole house. An exercise bike with a pre-programmed HIIT routine would have been much more convenient and less annoying!
Other handy features that some recumbent exercise bikes have are:
- USB charging capabilities
- DualTrack LCD displays
- Media tray
- Tablet or phone holders
- MP3 input ports
- Adjustable fans
- Ventilated backrests (great for helping to stay cooler while working hard)
- The ability to be folded up and put away
What’s the best way to use a recumbent exercise bike for weight loss?
The American College of Sports and Medicine states working out for 30 minutes, five days a week, can lead to positive health benefits. In order to burn fat, they suggest exercising for 60-90 minutes five days a week (livestrong.com).
Before jumping into an intense cardio session, it is a good idea to warm up first.
You will also want to make sure your seat is the proper height. Your seat is properly adjusted when you can place your heal on the pedal in the furthest position and extend your leg until it is straight.
Another way to think of it is Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor
Aim to pedal with the balls of your feet and heels. Pedaling mostly with your toes can lead to painful calf and foot cramps
Precautions for using recumbent exercise bikes
Recumbent exercise bikes are generally easier to dismount than other types of equipment. They are often recommended to people looking to recover after surgery or injuries. If you have limited movement, it might still be safer to hold the back of a chair or stool when getting on and off the bike.
I also recommend purchasing an extended warranty. It is usually less than $30 and is worth it if something were to go wrong.
Which is the best recumbent bike for weight loss in 2021?
Best Overall recumbent exercise bike for weight loss
90/100 based on 3,846 reviews
- The Expereutic 400XL folds and can easily be stored. It also has a V-belt double drive transmission. Personal trainers have found this bike rides as smooth as more expensive commercial bikes.
- Many customers have found this bike easy to assemble. The extended weight capacity also supports up to 300lbs.
- The heart rate monitor on this bike provides quick and accurate feedback. This is excellent if you are looking to stay within specific intensities for a work out. One customer compared the Expereutic heart rate monitor to his chest strap monitor. He found it was very similar. This can be great for high intensity interval training.
- The eight tension levels provide a wide range of resistance. This is another reason this bike is a solid choice for high intensity interval training. This also makes this recumbent bike suitable for beginners and more advanced athletes.
- Paired with an adjustable desk, this bike might work great as a desk-bike in your home or work office.
- Some people who were over 6 feet tall found that they could not properly extend their legs on this bike. People shorter than 5’ have found this bike works for them (especially if they put a pillow on the back rest).
- This bike has a semi recumbent design. Of the semi recumbent bikes, this might be a great choice – but some customers prefer bikes with a true recumbent design.
Second Best Overall Recumbent Bike for Weight Loss:
90/100 – 11,519 reviews
- The Marcy ME-709 recumbent bike may not come with all the bells and whistles of more expensive models, but it gets the job done if you are looking for a budget-friendly minimalist bike.
- It comes with eight levels of magnetic resistance. The highest level of resistance should be enough to challenge most people.
- The LCD display shows time, speed, distance, calories in large, visible numbers. It also acts as an odometer.
- Most customers find the seat comfortable. The seat can also slide forward or back to accommodate people of many different heights.
- Some people found it was difficult to slide the seat forward and back.
- If you are looking for a bike that can be easily moved and stored, you may want to choose a different bike.
Most Advanced recumbent bike for weight loss:
88/100 – 4,155 reviews
- The Schwinn 270 has bluetooth connectivity which can sync to a variety of trainer apps. This makes it extra easy to track your time, distance, calories, and heart rate in the app of your choice.
- For those who love to travel and explore, you might want to purchase an app like BitGym. By placing a tablet in the holder, you could then enjoy different scenery almost like you were cycling in the Andes or in other places beautiful scenery.
- The backrest is ventilated. My back would always get sweaty with the pleather seats. For those who sweat a lot, putting a fan behind the bike can be a nice treat.
- You can choose from 29 pre-set exercise programs and 25 levels of resistance. This can be fantastic as these programs will automatically change the resistance as you ride.
- If you are looking for extra bells and whistles, the Schwinn 270 also comes with USB charging capabilities, DualTrack LCD displays, a media tray, speakers with an MP3 input port, and an adjustable fan.
- Many people find that the heart rate monitor is not the best for getting an accurate read.
- Quite a few people have found the foot straps come loose and fall off.
Honorable Mentions – Best recumbent bike for weight loss
Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike Exercise Bike, 300 lb (136 kg) Capacity, Easy Adjustable Seat, Monitor, Pulse Rate Monitoring – SF-RB4616
88/100 – 1,455 reviews
- This bike is comparable to the Marcy ME-709. One key difference might be that the seat is much easier to adjust on the Sunny Health SF-RB4616. This can be convenient If you have multiple people wanting to use the bike. You don’t even need to get off the bike to slide it forward or back.
- Another nice feature is that this bike comes with a pulse sensor on the handle bars. This might be a selling feature over the Marcy ME-709 for those looking to train in specific ranges.
- The SF-RB4616 also comes with 8 levels of magnetic resistance. Another helpful feature for quickly adjusting the intensity of your workout.
- The sturdy frame supports people weighing up to 300 lbs.
- Some people might find the ME-709 computer to be easier to read than on this bike.
- Certain customers would prefer the resistance to offer more of a challenge.
Honorable Mentions – Best recumbent bike for weight loss
88/100 694 – reviews
- The seat can be adjusted for people with inseam lengths ranging from 28’ to 33.’ This might work well for taller people and for households with multiple people using it. People with shorter legs may want to place a pillow on the back rest.
- The NS-716R has 8 levels of magnetic resistance. This provides a range of challenge similar to the Marcy ME-709.
- The NS-716R also comes with a cup holder. This detail makes it convenient to get a quick sip in between high intensity training intervals.
- Some might appreciate the sleeker look of this bike compared to the Marcy ME-709.
- The frame will support people weighing up to 300 lbs.
- The seat is more challenging forward and back than other bikes. This might not be a big deal if only one person is primarily going to be using it.
- Some people find the cup holder is too small. If you can find a narrower water bottle to use, this might not matter.
Which Bike Wins In The Category For Best Recumbent Bike For Weight Loss In 2021?
The Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor: wins my vote for best recumbent bike for weight loss.
This bike provides the basics with adequate levels of resistance. The Exerpeutic 400XL is also budget friendly and can be easily folded up and put away. This can be fantastic for minimalists with smaller spaces and for those who appreciate being able to maximize functional areas.
Based on my research, the Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike With Performance Monitor also received some of the highest ratings of all recumbent exercise bikes.